A June graduation date has been set for Whitley County High School seniors.
During the Whitley County Board of Education’s monthly meeting Thursday, the board amended the 2018-2019 school calendar setting the gradation date for June 2 at 2 p.m. at The Arena in Corbin.
“That is the only time The Arena was available,” Director of Instruction Patrick Bowlin noted.
In February, the board approved a request from WCHS seniors, who by a 94.6 percent margin, voted to move graduation to The Arena.
The calendar amendment also set the last day
of school for May 31, but it will only be a half-day with school dismissing at 11 a.m.
In other business Thursday, the board:
- Recognized the Oak Grove Elementary School Academic Team, which won the district academic league. Team members include: Jaylynne Hamblin, Brileigh Logan, Krystin Price, Luke Tepesano, J.D. Woods, Henry Bowling, Reese Croley, Makenzie Eaton, Alexia Eversole, Chelslynn Helton, Mariana De La Hoya Trejo, Madisyn
Hopkins, Tanner Logan, Amber Price, Cameron Smith, Noah Vanderpool, Eli Yount, Jaydon Barnett, Camren Price, Reagan Trimble, McKinley Vanderpool, Amy De La Hoya Trejo.
- Recognized Whitley East Elementary School student James Jones, who was the Grandparent Essay Contest winner.
- Recognized WCHS Freshmen Academy employee Amanda Croley as the April Above and Beyond winner.
- Approved the audit contract for the 2018-2019 school year with Marr, Miller & Myers.
- Approved a memorandum of agreement with Midway University for its students to do observation and student teaching in Whitley County schools.