Pleasant Hill Baptist Church will be celebrating their 150th year with special services this year. Known as “Cousins Day”, the service recognizes the contribution of the family of Peter Jones and Celeter Creekmore Jones. The special service will be held on Sunday, July 8th starting at 11 a.m.
The church located at 2145 Rocky Point Road in Williamsburg is on the waters of Jacks Creek in the area historically known as the Lower Regions in Whitley County.
Rev. Don Kannady, who was the pastor in 1970-71 at the church is scheduled for the special guest for Cousins Day.
A potluck and fellowship will immediately follow.
The church was organized in January 1868 by ordained men from the Red Bird and Jellico Creek Churches, and the land for the church and cemetery was donated by William Gilbert Jones, son of Simon Peter Jones and Celeter Creekmore Jones.
The first building was built in 1861.
Elder Andrew Jackson Patrick (wife Olivia “Olive” Manning) became the first pastor and is believed to have served as pastor 1868-1871. Andrew is listed as the #1 member on the roll of the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church, with Olive Manning Patrick listed as the #2 member. Other members that came by letter from Jellico (Creek) Baptist Church were: Henry Newton Patrick and wife Celeter Jones Patrick, William Gilbert Jones and wife Sarah Sally Harmon and daughter Mary Ann (Polly), Pleasant Walker and wife Polly Ann Patrick Walker, Margaret Walker, Celia Briant, and Calvin Patrick.
In 1869 William Gilbert Jones, Ambrose Madison Jones, and Henry Patrick were messengers at the meeting of South Union Association. Records show that church membership was 38 that year.
Records show that the Simon Peter Jones family has always been leaders in the church. William Gilbert Jones donated the land. Ambrose Madison Jones was the first messenger to the association. Moses Bennett Jones was the song leader.
Cy Woodson Jones, son of Ambrose Madison Jones, was song leader, clerk, and deacon. Cy organized the Sunday School that still meets today.
Rev. Alfred Jones son of Gilbert (son of Ambrose Madison Jones) and Sarah E. Cox Jones served as associational missionary for 25 years and later served as pastor.
Four sons of Cy Woodson Jones raised their families in the Pleasant Hill Community in the 40’s and 50’s. Gorman’s wife and children attended church but he did not become a member until 1972. He was a messenger to the association. Emerson served as pastor for two rears in the 40’s. Moss was clerk, deacon, and Sunday School Director. Herbert was song leader, treasurer, and Sunday School Director.
The family of Simon Peter Jones and Celeter Creekmore Jones are still serving today here and around the world.