The University of the Cumberlands (UC) Men’s Basketball team had a very successful regular season and postseason thus far. The Patriots are currently 22-11 overall on the season and finished the year 10-6 in Mid-South Conference (MSC) play. Now, the Patriots must ready themselves as they will continue their season in the NAIA DI Men’s Basketball National Championship Tournament.
The Patriots, who drew a #6 seed, will face Langston University (OK) in the Duer Bracket in the opening round of the NAIA National Championship Tournament. The Lions, who went 25-6 on the season and 15-3 in the Red River Athletic Conference (RRAC), would upset #1 seeded LSU-Alexandria to win the RRAC Tournament Championship last week.
BY THE NUMBERS – Langston University
• The Lions were led on the season by Curtis Jones with 15.6 points per game along with 2.6 rebounds per contest.
• Langston outscored their opponents on average this season 83-72.
• LU went 3-4 during the regular season against opponents in the NAIA Top 25 poll. They would earn wins over #5 LSU-Alexandria at home, #14 LSU-Shreveport at home, and #22 Wiley College on the road.
BY THE NUMBERS – University of the Cumberlands
• The Patriots were led on the season by Xavier Owens with 14.6 points per game along with 6.1 rebounds per game.
• UC outscored their opponents on average this season 75-68.
• The Patriots went 5-3 this season against opponents in the NAIA Top 25 poll, including three wins over NAIA Top 5 opponents as they swept the University of Pikeville (#1 and #4 at time of wins) and on the road at #2 Georgetown College.
The Patriots will travel to Kansas City, Missouri to face the Lions of Langston University on Wednesday, March 16th in the opening game of the NAIA National Championship Tournament. Tipoff is scheduled for 10 am eastern time.
FIND OUT MORE
For the latest and most up-to-date information on University of the Cumberlands Athletics, please visit www.cumberlandspatriots.com.
Story courtesy of UC Multimedia/Athletic Services