NIBROC week will kick off Saturday with the 66th annual Miss NIBROC Pageant.
Eleven contestants will take to the stage at the Betty Hamilton Center for the Performing Arts at Corbin High School to vie for the crown.
The 11 contestants will compete in four categories: Interview, Swimsuit, Evening Gown, and, new this year, On-Stage Question.
Gail Frederick, one of the event organizers, said the judges will formulate a unique question for each contestant based on the questionnaires they have filled out prior to the event. Each contestant will have one minute, thirty seconds to answer her question.
“It could be anything, but it will be something they are interested in and can talk about,” Frederick said explaining that the topic will be something the contestant has talked about with the judges during the interview portion of the competition.
Frederick emphasized that the contestants will have no prior knowledge of the question.
Competing for the title and the right to go on and compete for Miss Kentucky in 2019 are:
- Lynnsey Garrison, the daughter of James Garrison and Amanda Engle
- Makayla Mack, the daughter of Craig and Joy Mack
- Malari Hoskins, the daughter of Larry and Angela Hoskins
- Payton Detherage, the daughter of Patrick and Jacquelyn Hoskins
- Kayleigh Hauser, the daughter Eddie and Debra Hauser
- Bailee O’Neill, the daughter of Bob and Shonya O’Neill
- Hailey Martin, the daughter of Jason Martin and Ronda Engle
- Savannah Moore, the daughter of Willard and Darlene McBurney
- Grace Evans, the daughter of Brian and Teresa Evans
- Katelynn Johnson, the daughter of Roy and Tonya Johnson
- Cora Bo Stevens, the daughter of Toby and Tonda Stevens
Saturday night will begin with a dance number performed by the contestants.
Under Frederick’s direction, the contestants have been working for several weeks to learn the routine, which will be set to the song, “I Can Make Your Hands Clap,” by Fitz and the Tantrums.
“I enjoy it. I love working with the girls,” Frederick said when asked what brings her back to work on the pageant each year.
The theme of the event is “If you can dream it, you can do it,” based on a quote from Walt Disney.
Dr. Brent Chumbley will be the master of ceremonies.
Entertainment will be provided by Kelly Lowe, Kenton Lowe, Zac Hart, Zachery Morris, Ava Ledford, Piper Jackson and Mattie Lewis.
Renee Hooker, Rose Estill, Whitney Baker and Dortha Weber work alongside Frederick to organize the pageant.