Jeff Newman got a rude wake up call late Tuesday morning as he was taking a shower.
Newman heard crackling, and thought somebody might be coming in the house. Instead, he found his Prewitt Bend Road home on fire.
“I just looked and saw the smoke. I was totally naked. I could hear the electrical in the wall by the door. There was no sheet rock so I could actually see it,” Newman said. “I was throwing water on it thinking I could knock the fire out, but it was way down deep in there where I couldn’t reach it.”
Newman said the fire started in the wall behind the kitchen cabinet, and quickly spread into the attic.
Newman said he called his brother then he called 911.
He then went to get his 90-year-old father up, in order to get him out of the house.
Firefighters from 3-Point Volunteer Fire Department quickly responded to the scene as did firefighters from at least three other local departments, including Woodbine, Patterson Creek, and Rockhold.
Newman stood outside in the rain without the benefit of a shirt or shoes most of the time watching firefighters labor for well over an hour to extinguish the 20-year-old home that he built himself.
No one was injured during the fire.
“I’m glad it wasn’t in the middle of the night. Of course anybody would feel lucky to get out alive. I built the house. I can build it back. I have insurance so it will be a while though,” Newman said.
- Public Records
- Contact Us
- Subscribe Now!
- Community Directory