Laurel County Sheriff John Root is reminding residents who are leaving on vacation to take some precautions to protect their homes from would-be burglars while they are gone.
Root offered the following tips to help prevent being victimized:
- Do not let others know you will be out of town
- Stop mail delivery
- Arrange for lawn to be mowed
- Set house lights on timers
- Arrange for a trusted friend close by to watch for any suspicious activity around your home and report it
- Do not post trip pictures on Facebook until you return home
- Contact the sheriff’s office for our assistance
with our –” Away from home extra patrols”
Residents may call the sheriff’s office at (606) 864-6600, personal message the department through Facebook, or email Deputy Gilbert Acciardo at email@example.com.
Please provide the address and dates you will leave and return.
Deputies will be advised of those locations and conduct random drive-by’s while on patrol.
“We want to help you keep your home safe when you are away,” Root stated.