West Knox firefighters were called to Lynn Camp High School Friday afternoon to search for the source of the smell of smoke in the hallways.
Chief Daryl Baker said the call came in at 4:10 a.m.
A second call came in after a passerby reported seeing smoke coming from the building.
The building was nearly empty, as classes had dismissed for the day. However, the remaining students were evacuated as firefighters scoured the area near the cafeteria in search of the source.
Chief Daryl Baker said the smoke was coming from one of the motors that circulates air inside the heating and air conditioning system.
“That happens a couple of times a year out there,” Baker said. “They have so many of those things operating.”
Baker said firefighters had to repeatedly set up ladders and go up into the drop ceiling in the search for the cause, eventually narrowing it down to the area near the bookstore.
Firefighters searched for more than an hour before discovering the cause.
“The capacitor is about the size of a pack of cigarettes,” Baker said.
The motor was shut down and power to it disconnected until a maintenance crew could get it replaced.
Firefighters left the scene about 5:35 p.m.