A quick response by University of the Cumberlands employees and the Williamsburg Fire Department is being credited with containing a small fire at Asher Hall Monday afternoon that caused minor damage.
"It could have been a whole lot worse," said Williamsburg Fire Chief James Privett.
Vice-President of Operations Kyle Gilbert said the fire started in a stove inside one of the rooms in Archer Hall, and that a microwave oven on top of it was fully burning along with part of the stove when university officials arrived.
A university employee grabbed a fire extinguisher and quickly emptied it before firefighters arrived.
"Our first responders were immediately on the scene and our emergency protocol worked beautifully," Gilbert said.
"We attempted to put out the fire until the fire department got here. When the fire department arrived on the scene, it was turned over to them."
Privett said that his department was notified shortly before 4 p.m. when the building’s alarm went off.
"Upon arrival, there was smoke coming out of one room. The room was fully involved with just smoke mostly," Privett said.
"It didn’t have any fire mess, but there was a lot of smoke scattered throughout the building. We were able to get in and get everything out quickly."
No one was injured during the blaze, and the building sustained no substantial damage.
"As always, the local officials, fire and police, did a wonderful job to support the university and we appreciate them," said Dr. Michael Colegrove, Vice-President of Student Services.