An early morning trailer fire in north Corbin is under investigation and officials say it could have turned into a tragic scene after firemen found a 14-year-old boy sleeping inside the structure when it was believed to be unoccupied.
“Apparently, what happened with the child is that the boy had a doctors appointment and the mother didn’t tell the father,” Corbin Police Det. Tim Helton said. “It’s my understanding that the father did not know his son was in the trailer and he had thought he had already gone to school.”
Officials at the scene say the blaze appeared to be intentionally set, but said they will not elaborate until a full investigation is complete. Helton said evidence was collected at the scene that will hopefully aid in the investigation.
“Evidence was collected and will be sent to the state crime lab,” Helton said. “They will be able to determine whether or not any type of accelerant was used in the fire.
“We have opened a case and will be conducting a full investigation,” he added.
The Corbin Fire Department received the report of a structure fire at the residence located at 203 Nelson St. around 7:45 a.m. Tuesday morning and when they arrived, they say they found evidence that the blaze may have been intentionally set.
“We do believe it was intentionally set,” Corbin Fire Chief Barry McDonald said. “When we arrived, there was a mattress and box springs under the trailer that had been set on fire.
“The fire was contained to the outside of the structure and underneath the trailer,” McDonald added. “The damage, with the exception of some smoke damage, was contained to the outside of the trailer.”
The trailer is occupied by Joseph Congers and his family, but is owned by Tim Sams, who lives next door to the trailer.