There is now one more contested race in Whitley County for 2018 with many more expected to follow.
Since Nov. 21, only one additional candidate has filed to run with Whitley County Clerk Kay Schwartz’s Office.
Gary Brock has filed to run against incumbent First-District Magistrate Scotty Harrison.
So far there are four other contested races on the ballot.
Currently the May Republican Primary ballot includes the following candidates in the following races.
- Whitley Circuit Court Clerk – incumbent Gary Barton.
- Whitley County Attorney – incumbent Bob Hammons.
- Whitley County Clerk – incumbent Kay Schwartz.
- Whitley County Sheriff – incumbent Colan Harrell.
- Whitley County Jailer – incumbent Brian Lawson and Curtis Surgener.
- Commonwealth’s Attorney – Ronnie Bowling and Graham Trimble.
- Whitley County Judge-Executive – incumbent Pat White Jr.
- First-District Magistrate – incumbent Scotty Harrison and Gary Brock.
- Second-District Magistrate – incumbent Lon “Chuck” Head and Edmondo O. “Mondo” Cima.
- Third-District Magistrate – incumbent Michael Jarboe.
- Fourth-District Magistrate – incumbent Robert “Robbie” Brown.
- First-District Constable – incumbent Lonnie Foley.
- Second-District Constable – incumbent Ron “Bubba” Bowling.
- Third-District Constable – incumbent Dorman Patrick Jr.
- Fourth-District Constable – incumbent Andy Moses.
The November General Election currently shapes up as follows with these non-partisan races.
- Williamsburg Mayor – incumbent Roddy Harrison and Dr. Bernard Moses.
- Williamsburg City Council – incumbents Laurel Jeffries West and Mary Ann Stanfill.
- Third-District Justice of the Kentucky Supreme Court (includes 27 counties) – Dan Ballou.
There is no primary election in these non-partisan races unless three or more candidates file for mayor or for the Kentucky Supreme Court seat, or 13 people or more candidates file for Williamsburg City Council.
So far, there have been no candidate filings for 82nd District Representative, Whitley County Surveyor, Whitley County Coroner, Corbin City Commission, Corbin Mayor, or either district judge position.
The filing deadline for all these positions is Jan. 30 at 4 p.m.