This year’s pageant will be held at Williamsburg City School at 7:00 p.m. on July 11. The theme this year is “Back in time with Music and Dance”.
Eight contestants are vying for the title:
Bethann Cupp, 18 year old graduate of Whitley County High School, daughter of Angie and J.R. Cupp
Sara Grega, 19 year old sophomore of Georgetown College, daughter of Charles and Debra Grega
Hillary Lewis, 19 year old sophomore of University of Kentucky, daughter of Gary and Linda Lewis
Courtney Norvell, 17 year old graduate of Whitley County High School, daughter of Patrick and Leah Norvell
Suzanna Perkins, 18 year old graduate of Williamsburg High School, daughter of Eddie Perkins and Theresa Woods
Lynda-Lindsey Sizemore, 18 year old graduate of Corbin High School, daughter of Billy and Rhonda Sizemore
Mackenzie Teague, 17 year old senior at Whitley County High School, daughter of Donna Jones
Kelsey White, 18 year old graduate of Williamsburg High School, daughter of Fred and Kim White
The requirements for the pageant are as follows:
1. Must be an upcoming senior or graduated from Whitley County High School, Corbin High School or Williamsburg City School. If not in high school you must have completed your freshman year of college and resisted for the upcoming semester. All girls must have a permanent residence of Whitley County.
2. 2.5 G.P.A.
3. No discipline problems and good attendance.
4. Must not have reached their 22 birthday by July 1.
Once the young lady has been accepted to compete in the pageant they are responsible for the following:
1. Complete 5 hrs. Community service work.
2. Keep a scrap book of all the events before the pageant.
3. Write an essay regarding their community service work.
4. Conduct a fundraiser for the American Society.
Last year was the first pageant under the direction of Tammy Walker and many new guidelines were set for the pageant. The focus of the pageant is community service, good citizenship and academics which in return creates overall beauty.
Last year 2008 Miss Whitley County Fair Pageant awarded $11,000.00 in scholarships to the college of their choice, and $700.00 in gifts. This year the pageant has already secured over $13,000.00 in scholarships and hopes to add to the $13,000.00 before the final pageant date of July 11, 2009. If anyone would like to donated to the scholarship fund to our local young ladies please contact Tammy Walker at 539-9732.
Mrs. Walker stated, “Her goal along with the pageant community is not only to focus on beauty but the overall individual.”. Mrs. Walker works all year collecting donations to help with scholarships for the young ladies in the Whitley County area.