Williamsburg restaurant damaged by fire Thursday
A Thursday afternoon fire damaged a Williamsburg restaurant.
The grease fire broke out about 1:21 p.m. Thursday at G&E Drive-In, which is located off US25W in Williamsburg.
Williamsburg Fire Chief James Privett said that when firefighters first arrived the restaurant was completely engulfed in flames and smoke.
"We're very fortunate that nobody was injured," Privett said. "We were there in a minute and one-half or less and it didn't look like there was any hope."
Firefighters, Troy Thomas, Brian Woods and Brandon Woods put on their self-contained breathing apparatus and entered the restaurant to extinguish the blaze.
"It was about as quick a knock down as I have seen on any fire in a long time," Privett added.
"They knocked it down and about the only damage you actually have in the restaurant now is the back wall around where the grease trap was and a little water damage."
There were about seven people inside the restaurant when the fire broke out including patrons, who were eating, Privett said.
Julie McCullah owns the restaurant.
The Whitley County Health Department also responded to the scene, which Privett said is standard procedure for any fire at a restaurant.
Privett anticipates that the restaurant will probably be closed for at least a few days.
"It is fixable," he added.
About 10 firefighters helped extinguish the blaze and were on the scene for about 90 minutes.
All fields but Phone Number are required to submit a comment, but contact information is for internal communication only.